Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

Riding Out The Blues::One Day At A Time


 

Indigo Blues Vessel
Sculpture: Earthenware Clay, Glazed, Fired to Cone 04 | Skaru’:re Indigo Dyed Cotton Muslin

I don’t ask Creator why I’m not married with a family of my own anymore.  It takes a village to raise a child and I’m a teaching artist humbling trying to empower young people to practice design thinking through creative hands.  I’m where I’m suppose to be, doing what God wants me to do today.  The Holy Spirit reveals signs that keep me on task, like an indigo bush growing on Chowan’s campus and the Holy Father coming to the East Coast of North American on my birthday.

The answer to why me is why not.  It’s not personal, it’s about the stories associated with one of the birthplaces of The Blues, Fort Neyuheruke.  Native Americans on the East Coast from South America to Canada have been living the Blues since 1492.  We are the remnant of a free people from 1491.  Everything has been taken from us!  We have been stripped down, raped, beaten, burned alive, kidnapped, held captive and our children sold as the first slaves.  And after all that, large numbers of us remain forever connected to the land of our Ancestors.  We made ourselves invisible, hiding out in plain sight in small family clusters on Swampland.  The remnant of Algonquin people in the Coastal Plains of Carolina is huge.  That’s why the powers that control keep the people separate by sowing negative energy of mistrust among Indian people.  Some people follow what others say.  But like my momma says, “I rather see a sermon any day instead of hearing one!”

I’ve got new clay and fiber work up in the faculty show at Chowan.  The hardest part was getting big clay from Skarure land to Chowanook.

No comments:

Post a Comment