Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

My Journey ~ Part #1 ~ I Look 2 U


In 2008, I applied as a scholarship student to Penland School of Crafts during one of the darkest hours of my life.  I received the blessing of a Lucy Morgan Scholarship, and experienced the beginning of a transformation in my art and in my life.  Penland became the light to illuminate my way out of the pain of humiliation, rejection, being diminished and stripped of dignity in a toxic learning environment.  It was a struggle to get to Penland that summer.  I felt as if I was drowning in an ocean of pain, with a weighted rope around my ankle pulling me down into the melancholy blues.  The transforming light of Penland taught me that I doubted my own strength.  I untangled the rope of self-doubt, anger and fear around my ankle, swam up to the light of day and exhaled.  I am helpless and broken and with each and every breath “I Look 2 You”! .... the journey continues ...

No comments:

Post a Comment