Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

Who Am I?


I’m teaching visual journaling to my 4th and 5th grade art majors.  In doing so, I’m completing my own journal page.  We can choose one of two prompts:  “All About Me!” or “Who Am I?”  My choice is “Who Am I?”  In the midst of my ongoing transformation, I ask myself this question often.  Sallie B. is transforming into using the “Nurtured Heat Approach” pioneered by Howard Glasser.  While I’m not privy to being trained as a “heart nurturing” educator, I am part of “The Penland Experience.”  Much of what co-workers who have been “officially” trained in the “Nurtured Heart Approach” report experiencing, I’ve experienced at Penland.  Both are vehicles to discovering the self “greatness” that we all possess.  One approach is geared for parenting, teaching and therapy, and the other for the creative process.  God reaches out to us in many ways, and my first hand knowledge of acknowledging my greatness comes from the transformation of what I create with my hands.

So, “Who Am I?”  I often wonder being 125 pounds over weight.  I feel that I’m lost, that I’m buried deep inside myself.  I long to be the “me” on the outside that I feel I am on the inside.  The pain and burden of excess weighs me down, and prevents me from flying.  I worked hard and was so excited about getting gastric bypass while we were out of school for three weeks during Winter Break.  It didn’t happen, and I’m still faithfully waiting.  I completed my last consultation last week, so hopefully soon it will be my turn for a second chance at “health.”

No comments:

Post a Comment