Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

I See It! I See My Visualization Of An Algonquin Blanket Shawl!

-->
The idea of reconnecting with the indigo blanket shawls of my childhood has been rolling around inside of me since the Woman Scared River Drum Society workshop 15 months ago.  At Last!  It’s no longer a vision!  My first blanket shawl is under construction enough for me to view it as a created object.  Whew!!!  I’m excited to be working on this project and thankful for Creator’s blessing of creative hands.  I’ve got the peace and contentment that comes from contemplative exploration in art making.  So once again, I have an indigo dyed blanket.  Thank you Hattie Woodard Harris and Mattie Burnette Randolph for sharing indigo as a medicine with me while I was a child.

I’ve incorporated a 4 corners square shield representing Creations 4 Daughters, Ahskareen, Maraskarin, Sepoy and Posh.  This teaching was given to me by Lawarence Dunmoore at the Machapunga Tuscarora Pow Wow at sweet, scared Moratoc Park beside the Roanoke River in Williamston.  The food vendor backed out at the last minute, so I had to step to the occasion to cook and feed the People.  I got many blessings being in the kitchen that day and the teaching of The 4 Daughters was one of them.  It was a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment