Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

If At First You Don't Succeed ~ Try Again!

My Studio Desk This Morning
Indigo Bundle Ready 4 Over Dyeing
Got bundles ready to dye.  This morning I'm using fiber reactive dyes.  Over dyeing cloth previously dyed with indigo because I had too much white undyed space.  It happens sometimes!  I'm discovering that over dyed fabric has a richer, more complex visual look.  Personally, I don't like the look of using fiber reactive dye powder straight out of the jar.  I mix up recipes.  I guess this is a carry over from creating glaze recipes! LOL!


Birth of Scared Squares
In this dye session, I'm also creating cloth for "Scared Squares."  This work was birthed while I was living in Cullowhee, and was suppose to be part of my thesis before my creative endeavors were evaluated as unsatisfactory.  But, dreams don't die!  Thanks to God's "Divine Mercy" this body of work is being realized.  The timing and learning environment weren't right at Cullowhee.  For this body of work to be created it needed the journey from Cullowhee to Chicamacomico to Fort Neyuheru:ke back to the Haudenosaunee Confederacy.  "Scared Squares" are about the reopening the Longhouse door at the Outer Banks; about remembering First Contact at Roanoke Island and the Holocaust at Fort Neyuheru:ke; about acknowledging to the world that after 300 years we are "Still Here".  I'm so excited I feel like I'm "Walking On Sunshine!"

No comments:

Post a Comment