Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

Day 57: Got Fiber Reactive Dye Samples


Arashi Shibori Using 2 Mixed Colors
I love dyeing cloth!  The process puts me in the moment with unexpected surprise.  Of any art form that I ever done; it’s the most wondrous!  Opening a glaze kiln is the next closest experience but because you have so many steps to complete to get to that point, it’s more drawn out.  Besides, I’ve had so many negative experiences with people associated with doing clay that it’s spoiled my joy.  So, clay is on hold until I can get my kilns out of storage and hooked up in my own studio. 
Overdye: MX Over Indigo



I’m enjoying making color on fabric.  One of my professors and mentor’s at UNC, Mr. Marvin Saltzman, always said that I was a colorist – a painter’s painter.  I finally understand what he meant.  I’m drawn to art processes that are timeless and connect me to humanity.  Clay and textiles both do that for me!  They represent my convergence; where all that I am and the hopes and dreams of everyone who’s blood flows in my veins come together.  I love this life!  I’m happy, content and at peace with the circumstances that have brought me to this moment in time.  At times it’s been a difficult journey but such is life!

Press & Fold
 
Silk Scarf

No comments:

Post a Comment