Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

New Year ~ Day #12


Fiber Reactive Dyes Ready 2 Go!
“I will greet this day with love in my heart.”  These are the opening words to “The Scroll Marked II” in chapter nine of Og Mandino’s The Greatest Salesman in the World.  These words express my greeting for 2015.  In December I completed being a visiting artist and adjunct art professor at Chowan University.  Now, I need to demonstrate the lessons that I learned as the teacher/facilitator.  I can hear Mat Randolph saying “Those Who Learn, Teach!”  Driving two hours each way was the most difficult part of my adventure creating and sharing beside Lake Vann, but I persevered to the end.  The life lesson that I learned was a Billie Holiday song, “You Don’t Know What Love Is Until You Learn The Meaning Of The Blues.”  This lesson has been a hard one for me to learn, but at last I get it!

So what’s next!  Rearrange my studio so that I have a dedicated dye lab and sewing room.  This is no small task in the space where I live and create.  I’ve got issues with clutter from feeling lonely, broken, unloved and unworthy.  But my Chowan experience helped me walk out my “Trail of Tears” and gain the strength and resolve to let go of yesterday’s loss.  I’m moving on!  I read aloud the words of Harriet Tubman several times a day to give myself courage and resolve.  I’ve got this!  I can do this!  To make the “Indigo Blues” series of work and to complete the “Peace Quilt” I need a creative place to work.  The only available place is the Marlow Drive Studio so I’ve got to make it happen.
“If you hear the dogs, keep going.
If you see the torches in the woods, keep going.
If there’s shouting after you, keep going.
Don’t ever stop.  Don’t ever quit.
Don’t give up.  Don’t give in.
If you want a taste of freedom,
Keep going!”  ....
Harriet Tubman

No comments:

Post a Comment