Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

At Last ~ The Penland Experience | Art That Heals


A new journey of transformation begins today, and in this season it is with the purpose of healing.  For five consecutive years I have come to Penland.  When I arrived five years ago I was completely broken and distraught, and as I look back near death.  My journey of transformation stated with a class with Kelly and Kyle Phelps, where I meet Carrie Warvel Longley and a class of adorable artists.  My transformation started in my hands, as they learned a new way of making.  The transformation that stated that summer continued to grow with each summer experience through Cynthia Bringle, Angelica Pozo, Kathy King and Paul Wandless, Margaret Cogswell and this summer through MaPo Kinnord-Payton.  Along the way I have met some of the most incredible and creative artists in the world.  I will forever be indebted to each person who has enriched by life.

The summer the transformation that began in my hands is now transforming my physical appearance.  I'm being changed from the inside out.  For the first time, I'm arriving at Penland "pain free."  To some that may not be significant, but when you have lived with constant non-stop oppressive pain 24/7 for five years, it is a miracle.  I am living proof that the "Penland Experience Transforms," and that "ART" can truly save your life.

This summer my goal is to share my transformation.  I need to give visual representation to the pain of loss, grief, isolation, fear, guilt, abandonment, loneliness, and heartache associated with walking out your "Trail of Tears."  I come to Penland to create art to help Jaki Shelton Green and Angela Kennedy, my beloved sisters, who are where I was five years ago -- to  collectively unite our hearts in healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment