Come Back As A Flower

Come Back As A Flower
Mixed Media Self-Portrait (Sculpted clay mask, fabric & digital illustration)

What Will You Create Today? #7/30 Art That Heals

Art is about life and life is about creating.  I was reminded of this yesterday, when Kim Benson, blessed me with a video clip by Makoto Fujimura.  He posed the question, "What will you create today?" as he gave the graduation address at Biola University.  That question stuck with me and resonated deep in my being. It's part of my conscientiousness in creating "Dancing Clouds" as a way to heal my brokenness and fear.

So, what do I want to make today?  My heart's desire is to create happiness, to love and be loved, to strive for serenity and peace of mind, to live in the moment.  I want to make the world a better place, not by changing another person but by changing myself.  Thank you Kim for your blessing.  We reap what we sow in life, even if it's a late crop.

As I continue with my cloud studies as an exercise in oil painting, I'll pay attention to the bigger picture, the process by which art can heal!
Stage #2 Underpainting | Oil on Linen

Today, I'm painting on a stretched linen canvas.  What a joy to paint on linen.  Oil on linen has the feel of porcelain.  I love it.  I had forgotten how smooth the oil paint flows on a linen canvas.  However, you have to paint in thin layers of colors and wait for each one to dry.  This is good because it makes you stretch out you pleasure and enjoyment.  I didn't undercoat this canvas with colored gesso.  The first layer was applied last Thursday, and the second this morning.  I painted around the edges like I do with acrylics but it's really problematic when using oils.  After I did it, I remembered Mr. Saltzman's lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment